home | archives

theJEDMAN NATION-A New Wave Manifesto

Documenting the JED Experience

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I'm writing this section on dinner parties on Labor Day so don't let the post date fool you. Recently on consecutive weekends I went to dinner parties. PARTY I The first one was at a midtown location of some work people. This was my second invite to this location. I took a 12 pack of beverages. The host made some nice colon friendly veggie lasagna with salad and good bread. It was very nice. The last time I was there the meal was very good as well. I love going to a party where people make fresh food that is good for you. I don't like parties where the food is from big containers purchased at Sam's Club. These people were arty types so they didn't have a TV. We couldn't watch the Chiefs game or the Olympics. So, we listened to music and talked. Imagine talking. I can talk. Sometimes I talk real well. It was a cool August evening so we sat outside in the back yard. There were other people there besides work people so the shop talk was kept at a minimum. These arty types smoked, but at least they have sense to smoke outside. They have figured out how to banish themselves to the great out doors. Just d0n't do anything that Smokey the Beer wouldn't be proud of. I enjoyed this party. PARTY II The next weekend I went to another dinner party at a suburan location. We ate colon enemy red meat. I grilled big T-bones steaks on the grill. In fact, you might as well call me T-bone. I love cooking on the grill. Invite me to your party and I will cook on the grill for the party for you. I can cook dead meat and vegetables. I can handle hundreds of people. This party was good. I can take or leave the steak. I like it, but it is not the end all with me. Unless it is really good high quality cut, I'd rather eat something else. These T-bones were just OK. The fire was not hot enough to really sear them. There was good salad and bread. Good salad is important. This place always has outstanding salad. ISSUE I There was another Chiefs game on, but we were not allowed to watch it during dinner. After dinner we had to watch it on Tivo. I hate watching the game on Tivo. I'd rather watch it live with commercials. The host had some problems fast forwarding through the commercials once. He went too far on fast foward and it was touchdown Miami. Then again it was touchdown Miami. It was like foreshadowing, but we saw it for real in fast motion. So, I kind of new what was going to happen. ISSUE II The host had a beer fridge in his basement. We ate upstairs. So, he had a cooler of beverages upstairs during dinner. There was no ice in the cooler. Later, the cooler made it downstairs, still with not ice. It sat around while we were watching the game. The host decided to load the cooler back into the fridge. He asked me if I wanted another beverage. I said yes and he popped the cap and he handed it to me. It was hot. He decided to forgo giving me a cold beverage from the fridge and instead he handed me a beverage that had been sitting in the cooler for hours with no ice. This was a major beverage hosting fopa.


I think that people are bringing stuff they would not normally eat at their own home to other people's homes. This is called excessive dessert syndrome. People get invited to a party. They bring some big cake or pie or excessive amounts of soda pop. When all of this stuff comes together from many people, the party is overload with sugar. A normal party guest would have to eat a huge piece of cake, half a pie, a dozen cookies and about a liter of soda to finish all the sweets. That is enough sugar to kill a large farm animal. What happens is that the host of the part are usually left with all of these desserts once the party guests leave. Amongst the older generation there is the idea of not wasting food. Wasting food is bad because we don't have enough of it, so let's risk obesity, diabetes and heart disease to avoid wasting refined white sugar.

I've been living in the most uninteresting of times. I have not done much lately. There has not been much to do and I'm sort of at fault for not trying to do anything. I found myself watching Jon and Kate Plus Eight. It is the show with the people and the twins and sextuplets. It is funny. I'm glad I'm not there.
I've been biking lately. I got my new super prostrate friendly seat. They basically cut the nose off. I like it, I just wish I was about an inch wider. It is good. You have to balance more, but that makes you gut work more. I have been having problems. I busted a spoke the other day on a long ride to Olathe. I had to ride back an hour to get home. The wheel was wobbly so I had to take off the back brake. I got it fixed and I was riding home from the bike shop and I busted the another spoke on my back wheel. I only weight 222, so it can't be because of the girth. I rode it back to the bike shop. I bet the wheel rim is shot. I want to get it fixed because I'm into riding on my new seat. There are many trail in the JOCO that need my bike riding power.
I've gone to some ballgames with some old men. Old men can't hear or maybe don't listen well. Information is repeated a lot and frustration is high. I shouldn't complain. I get to go for free. I was in the middle of Red Sox Nation the other night. It is so hard to get a ticket in Boston that fans travel with the team or Kansas City has a lot of Red Sox fans. I'm guessing more of the later. There are Red Sox fans everywhere that have never been to Boston.

.: posted by Jed 10:38 AM